Saturday, August 15, 2009

The First of Many

Ahoy,

And I'm off on this adventure of blogging publicly. (For those who find my interesting enough to read, that is). The truth is, in everyday life I don't think I would freely admit to being a 'blogger'. I could never fess up to doing something I once scoffed at as being self-indulgent and 'weird'. The truth is, I'm a Pre-Law major at a State school. I've been writing since I was five and writing in a journal seemed to be one step away from carrying a bent-up copy of Catcher in the Rye in my back pocket and smoking herbals. I no longer am satisfied by writing in Word on my computer. I need to try something new and see where it takes me.

I know there's an About Me kind of section on here, so I'll spare you the scintillating details of where I'm from and what my favorite food it. I'll kind of just ease on in. I will precede with this, however: I am not grammatically inclined. You WILL see mistakes in grammar, and possibly (although very rarely) in spelling. Bear with me. When my ideas start flowing, it's hard for me to slow down and make sure I'm typing correctly.

I'm excited to get started because I have been writing semi-privately for years on myspace (feel free to add me and let me know you're wanting to read my writings) and kept getting rave reviews from people (not just my friends, I'm not THAT naive, haha). I noticed I would get fifty to a hundred views per entry. I figured why not go public?

With my writings I like to explore certain subjects. Sometimes they are very specific, other times they are broad, but whittled down to specificality. (SO a word). The subjects that interest me most are people. I love people. I love watching them, observing them, and yes, making fun of them. One of my favorite things to do (which is how my sister-in-law and I connected, which I don't know if this makes us bitter hags or just plain fun, but I don't care!) is to sit in the mall on a bench, with my white chocolatesoysugarfreehazlenut starbucks (pretentious, I know) and watch people. While watching, I will make comments about them, everything from what they're doing, wearing, saying, EVERYthing is up for grabs. If there by myself, the comments stay in my head, if there with others, I just spill it. I figure it like this, if you're going to go out with crimped hair in a sparkly scrunchy and a metallic fannypack at age 30, you deserve my ridicule.

If you are a family that buys matching Christmas sweaters for all of you AND the dog, you deserve my ridicule. If you are a 300 pound woman in a cami and snakeskin mini during lunch, you deserve my ridicule! Don't get me wrong, I'm a curvy girl. And my clothes aren't the peak of fashion. But I know how to leave my house not looking like an absolute train wreck. I have too much self-respect to do that to myself and my loved ones.

I don't mean to portray myself as a mean person. If anything I am blessed with the gift of observation and cursed with my mother's ability to judge with no guilt. If anything it's more like contstructive criticism with a sting.

Anyway, most of my blogs will be an observation of behavior. I'm most inspired when I go to a new place and watch people. (Not the creepy/stalker way....like, the Anthropologist kind of way...).

Well, that's all for this introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment